Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Tuesday 6 December 2011

New gadget- Paint Mixer

While browsing around the E-Models store I came across a new toy. An electric paint mixer (£12.50). Any of you users of enamel paints will know the problem of getting them to mix. This great device takes all the effort out of it and thoroughly mixes the paint and carrier medium in the small humbrol 14ml tins no problem. The mixer is just a little too big to fit in a Vallejo bottle,I may experiment and file about a millimetre off it , as i have a few of those that could do with refresh too. Given the price of paints anything that help to ensure they last will help. I found it particularly good for mixing Matt Varnish and results of using it after mixing resulted in a really Matt finish. Probably good for those frothy coffee's too.

3 comments:

  1. These are a must have item I love mine and it gets plenty of use. Be careful about aerating the paints particularly acrylics this might lead to premature drying of the paint in the pot (I hear you can get a nasal spray for that type of thing) use lowest speed you can get away with. Im looking to make a separate mixer head for dropper bottles but haven't found anything in the shed (Dave Cave) to convert, only a matter of time as there is so much (quality) junk in there.

    PP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently got one of these myself and found it great. I did snip off bits of the little wheel and can fit it into a vallejo bottle. I does appear to thicken the paint (probably by aerating), but I always add a bit of water or a mixing agent each time I give it a twirl.

    John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting haven't seen of of these but I also have problems with mixing Humbrol varnish so might get one. Thanks for highlighting it.

    ReplyDelete