Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Thursday 5 January 2012

Mixed Mahdists

I have completed the box of Perry Mahdists. I have been trying to find a way to produce a large number of figures in short time to an acceptable standard (this should be the start of around 1600 figures ) . I think I am about there with them. The guys with Jibbah were sprayed white and then has a Humbrol 62 (Leather) colour washed onto them for the dark skin tone.This  was then highlighted with Valljo Dark Flesh. The Jibbah was itself them washed with a choice of an Andrea colour linen white , or a thin Khaki to run into the folds. The patterns were added by hand. Then it is just weapons to paint in.




I have done them in a range of base sizes to see what works and how to create a mass with some variance. Only slight issue I had was on a larger base which wanted to warp a bit - due to not haveing any weight of figures on it. It was cured by wetting the ply slightly and bending back in shape.


Overall to paint & base the 40 figures took 3 hours. With some more levels of industrialisation that will come down some. There are time savings to be had with mass spraying of several hundred.This will leave extra time for the good stuff!

I have today received a bunch of Connoisseur range Mahdists. Some will fit in fine here as well - although not as finely detailed as the Perry they will be absorbed into the mass easily with the added time bonus of NOT needing assembling!. Some interesting towns people and the Camels & riders look very good, so they may be a next project.

1 comment:

  1. They look amazing Dave. For only 3 hours work that is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete